FROM CITY TO FARM or I'VE GOT THE COCK, NOW WHAT .... Ramblings political, humourous, opinionated and/or creative writing from a man in flux

20090213

Bigotry is a double-sided affliction

I may be a cranky ranter, thank you Baggie, but I am an equal-opportunity curmudgeon. I'm also assuming that anyone who reads my blogs is not going to be a raving homophobic moron, so I don't think I'm running too great a risk of reinforcing silly stereotypes with this post. I try to be informed before I make decisions. I look at both (or all) sides of an issue and then make as informed a choice as possible. (It can drive boy-friends crazy.) A lot, I would even say a vast majority, of anti-gay writing (in all forms, but especially blogs) is based in fear, ignorance and lack of critical thinking. My Tribe is not immune from said sad disease, and the following, from a virtually anonymous comment section on a gay news site, illustrates my point:

Uniting for a “common” cause with heterosexuals who cannot possibly grasp what it’s like being us spells nothing but political SUICIDE! Oil and water do NOT mix(much like science and religion). I prefer it to be ZERO affiliation with the heteros. Simply put I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could toss a semi! LOL! They will always have a superiority attitude in dealing with us merely because they can crank out lots and lots of unwanted babies. For all of our gay “brothers” who pal around with these overactive breeder reactors maybe you should step back and ask yourself exactly what do you wish to accomplish? Your so called straight friends really don’t give a flying F**K about you, about us or(most importantly) about our civil rights movement!! All one needs to do is check out the list of donors to the Prop H8 campaign to confirm THAT! OH how I so SO wish that the names of the signers of that petition were put online! I think it would’ve been quite a eye OPENER for all these yuppie, artsy fartsy middle class homos to discover what many of their absolutely fabulous hetero friends really think of them and US in general. Ass kissing is SO simply pathetic! LMFAO!

This particular site requires that one put in a name and an e-mail address, but only the name one uses is visible to the general reader. This means that the moderators of the site would be able to contact a truly offensive person and/or provide said information to police, in the case of real extremists. It unfortunately doesn't add any personal responsibility to what is published, as one is not required to use one's real name. There are some very thoughtful posts, some of which even get written in real English with punctuation and everything. There are rants from The Enemy, people who read articles on gay-positive sites and then post virulent, offensive, or merely astoundingly uninformed opinions from their religious/right wing/outsider perspective. There are rants Against the Enemy, with which I have more sympathy but which sometimes come from the same mentality as the rants 'from' The Enemy. The quoted post is my first exposure to such stupidly blind bigotry from, I assume, a gay person.

I understand the feelings expressed but abhor the reverse prejudice. I saw ten minutes of some afternoon American talk show, LaToya or some such, in which the black hostess informed the general public that she "would never hire a white man, no matter how qualified he was for the job". I understand the feelings there, too. Unfortunately, both of these people, and undoubtedly many others, espouse truly revolting prejudice in the guise of repudiating prejudice, and without any irony or sense that they are just as bad as what they purport to be fighting.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - sorry for the deleted post, but I realized I forgot something...

    Can't we all just get along?
    Sheesh.
    Your quoted writer seems to have forgotten that without heterosexuals cranking out babies, s/he wouldn't exist....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that there are definitely a lot of unwanted babies in the world, but, lots of bigots as well. It's surprising how many intelligent people that I know have quite narrow views on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesbian separatist feminists. [head/desk] Been there. I'm an all-inclusive feminist, I am, and I was a not-very-activist during the height of the separatist days. Made politics more difficult than it already is.

    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Mary Anne. I agree that that attitude makes politics that much more difficult. My lesbian friends were never that radical, which I guess is why they're my friends. We're fighting prejudice on so many external fronts, it's a damn shame we have to fight it within the Tribe, too. Thanks for posting.

    Rikk

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

recently retired to southern Mexico from Canada