FROM CITY TO FARM or I'VE GOT THE COCK, NOW WHAT .... Ramblings political, humourous, opinionated and/or creative writing from a man in flux

20090222

2009 02 22

I had a heart-attack almost two years ago, and have been taking a selection of chemicals to prevent a recurrence. They have been causing me some grief, especially pain in my joints and muscles, which is inconvenient, to say the least. Yes, it's better than the alternative, but I would really like to be out of pain for at least short periods each day. So, I have a new doctor, and I want to reassess the drugs that I take, and started doing some research.

I have come to the conclusion that we don't know what the hell we are doing.

Some combination of chemicals is discovered to relieve or reverse, say, high cholesterol. Unfortunately, these drugs not only sometimes do what they are intended to do, they also cause things: chest pain, headache, fatigue, dizziness, rash, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, heartburn, increased transaminases, myalgia, cough, influenza, allergy, lens opacity, libido change, memory impairment, muscle weakness, neuropathy, paresthesia, taste disturbance, tremor, vertigo, anaphylaxis, angioedema, cholestatic jaundice, cirrhosis, cranial nerve dysfunction, dermatomyositis, erythema multiforme, ESR increase, fulminant hepatic necrosis, gynecomastia, hemolytic anemia, hepatitis, hepatoma, lupus erythematosus-like syndrome, myopathy, pancreatitis, peripheral nerve palsy, polymyalgia rheumatica, positive ANA, purpura, rhabdomyolysis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, vasculitis, angioedema, cataracts, depression, dyspnea, eosinophilia, erectile dysfunction, facial paresis, hypersensitivity reaction, impaired extraocular muscle movement, impotence, leukopenia, malaise, memory loss, ophthalmoplegia, paresthesia, peripheral neuropathy, photosensitivity, psychic disturbance, skin discoloration, thrombocytopenia, thyroid dysfunction, toxic epidermal necrolysis, increased, transaminases and vomiting - in that order of occurrence.

How can a drug cause a virus like influenza?

And that is just the cholesterol drug I take, one of, I don't know, eleven or so. Each of the others has more or fewer 'adverse reactions' in its arsenal. And they work in combination, or fight one another, or affect the performance of one another, or play merry hell with one's liver, kidneys or heart. Some foods, notably grapefruit, cause unknown amplification or suppression of some drugs' actions. Anti-depression drugs cause ... depression. Asthma drugs cause ... bronchiospasm and difficulty breathing. One asthma drug causes high blood pressure, which I take another drug to lower. The drug I take to lower my pressure causes some other drug to do something else that causes some other drug to cause me to take a drug to combat the nausea that they all cause. Is this sounding rational to you?

I've come up with a list of drugs that I think do all the things that my current selection are supposed to do, and, according to a web-site designed to track these things, don't interfere with one another, I started a spreadsheet of the adverse reactions, and now am not sure that I should change any of them: I'm accustomed to the way I feel taking this set, and don't know if I'm interested in accommodating a new plethora of side-effects. The myalgia and arthralgia caused by this set are absent or way down the list on the new set, so it may be worth it. We'll see what my doctor has to say next week. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. Good God! Good luck....

    Can any of these diseases/afflictions be reversed or at least arrested by diet or lifestyle changes? Or are you stuck taking pills forever and ever, amen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rikk! My reaction is holy sh-t! Even some of the foods like grapefruit can cause problems? I thought grapefruit was a magic food, helped you lose weight, and even there is a grapefruit diet! I feel your frustration! I hope you find something that doesn't magnify the problems more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on bloodthinner which prevents me from taking many other drugs and some vegetables which inhibit the thinner. You're on the right track in checking out the medications you are on. Surely a proper diet and exercise will make the proper changes in your body over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Barbara, and thanks for posting. I'm lucky not to have to take coumadin or its alternatives because you're right, it makes the whole combination much more complicated. Exercise and diet changes, which I am making, can help reduce the amount of medication I need, but I am not sure that I can get to a place where I don't need most of them. Hopefully, maybe I will need fewer drugs one day. Unfortunately, I love grapefruit, and something in it reacts with most chemicals in ways that no-one can predict. I'm allowed a little now and then, but I moved to lemons, for the most part. They're not the same, but at least they don't react with the drugs.

    Regards, Rikk

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said:
    "I have come to the conclusion that we don't know what the hell we are doing."

    Absolutely, you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Jim. Unfortunately, we don't know what the hell we are doing on more levels than just with meds! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

recently retired to southern Mexico from Canada