FROM CITY TO FARM or I'VE GOT THE COCK, NOW WHAT .... Ramblings political, humourous, opinionated and/or creative writing from a man in flux

20110620

20110620

I was looking for some of the old newsletters that I thought I had transferred from the other site, but these three are the only ones I have on my computer.  Other than that, I have nothing to say because I am exhausted.  The washing machine is in California, the dirty clothes are here and the situation in the town is not promising:  we have driven past one and only one sign saying 'lavendaria' but the business appears to never be open.

In the soi-disant backyard there is a concrete sink with built-in washboard and running water, and I have been washing our clothing the old-fashioned way.  When I hurt myself falling on the rocks at El Rancho, the local contingent of aunts volunteered to do my laundry for me.  When I told them that I could manage because we had a washing machine, they tut-tutted and informed that the laundry would not be as clean, done in a machine.  Well, I don't know about that, but I know now why they all have shoulders like an american line-backer.

Health news is about the same:  post-nasal deluge in me, hacking cough in G.  We are tired of feeling ill, let me tell you.  The weather is a treat, the cats are a treat, it is a treat to have a roof over our heads and food to eat.  All is well in our little corner of the world

R

2 comments:

  1. Having clean clothes is highly over-rated, especially when one has to wash them on a washboard.
    Do you have to use lye soap, too?
    Look on the bright side - if you never get another washing machine, you, too, will eventually have shoulders like a line-backer.....
    (and forearms like my mother-in-law, who spent many years without electricity.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use your feet to agitate, it should be easier on your back. Not sure how you would incorporate the wash board with that, but, you are smart and will figure it out ;) Then, when the grapes are ready, you will be well practised!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

recently retired to southern Mexico from Canada