FROM CITY TO FARM or I'VE GOT THE COCK, NOW WHAT .... Ramblings political, humourous, opinionated and/or creative writing from a man in flux

20090110

20090105

A friend of mine from the village stopped in some time ago, accompanied by a fanatic.  My friend credits his evangelical 'family' with saving his life. He was a drunk and an addict, and had ruined his relationship with his children and family with his behaviour.  Finding religion turned is life around.  In my opinion, he has replaced one set of drugs with another, but it makes him happy to believe as he does, and that is fine with me.  We've established ground rules that preclude discussions of his beliefs:  his myth structure is of no interest to me whatsoever.  The other day, though, he had a visiting 'brother':  one of those men who look as though they are starving to death and have those intense eyes sunk in deep, dark recesses.  You've seen them, sometimes even without the white jackets with the really long arms.  I greeted my friend, and his companion informed me he was spreading the gospel of John.  I told him quite graphically where and how he could spread it, and turned back to my work.  But it made me wonder again:  who the hell do you think you are?  Why should I, a total stranger, care one whit about your religious myth and what you believe it has done to improve your life?  It makes no sense to me, this belief in some creature who is all-powerful and governs one's life from some invisible place, but if it makes you happy and a better person, then go for it.  I just don't need to know about it, because it is none of my business.  So why do you have this compulsion to tell me about it?  All flavours of religion are the same:  'we're saved, you're not, ha ha ha, we win'.  Well, some of us have grown past the fear of the unknown that started these myths in the first place, and think the joke's on you:  this is what we get, and if you choose to spend your life spreading hate and exclusivity, you deserve pity, not praise.   The only difference between organised religion and Hitler (and his chosen race shite) is that the murders are more subtle. If your belief brings you joy, which in most cases I don't think it does, then more power to you.  It's not a rational basis for a life, and it sure as hell is incompatible with government (and education), so keep it to yourself.  We'll all be much better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

recently retired to southern Mexico from Canada